During Camp CommUNITY 2013, Nelson Mandela was very ill and near death. Upon mentioning this to the high school camp Delegates, it became stunningly clear, that many of the participants had never heard of him or did not remember. Thus spawning this project.
We are launching our first series of LWI (Leaders Who Inspire) posters in an effort to create awareness and motivate action among Delegates at Camp CommUNITY and throughout the area. Our goal is to highlight individuals and movements that demonstrate respect for humanity-life, liberty, property, dignity.
There are many ways to utilize the posters:
- Display in your classroom
- As part of a conversation about leadership and character
- As part of a discussion on social justice issues and historic movements
- As an assignment to identify other leaders and create posters of leaders based on this model
- Students can create a poster of their current self
- Students can image their future self and create a poster of their anticipated life
Examples of people and movements highlighted:
- Nelson Mandela
- Aung San Suu Ky
- Dr. Maya Angelou
- Dr. Aida Giachello
Each poster is 12 x 15.
If you are interested in borrowing the LWI (Leaders Who Inspire) poster series or having a copy, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org